Pad Kee Mow or "Drunken noodles", is a popular street food dish in Thailand. Marni shares her vegan take on Pad Kee Mao:
Ingredients: 100g Rice noodles 100g Chestnut mushroom-thinly sliced 50g Fried tofu (optional) 1-2 Red chillies, sliced 1 handful Basil (Thai basil if you can find it) 2 tbsp Vegetable oil 1/2 tbsp Light soy sauce 1 tsp Yeast extract 1/2 tsp Sugar 1/4 tsp Lemon juice 2 Garlic cloves (finely chopped) 1 pinch of salt & ground black pepper Method: - Prepare the rice noodles according to instructions on the packet.
- Heat the vegetable oil in the frying pan. Add the mushroom and tofu and fry until the mushroom is cooked. Remove the mushroom, tofu and transfer/set aside on a plate. Don’t wash the pan.
- In goes the garlic, chilli in the same frying pan. Stir for approx. 30 seconds - 1 minute.
Add the rice noodles, light soy sauce, yeast extract and sugar. Stir all the ingredients well. Add a little more oil if your pan becomes dry.
– Add the basil, mushroom, tofu, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir all the ingredients together.
– Serve immediately and garnish with fresh basil leaves.
– Rice noodles can become sticky easily. I always soak the rice noodles at least 2 hours or 10 minutes in warm water prior to the cooking.